The National Insurance Programme covers MA, the SCBs and all affiliated clubs, also their members, officials, employees, volunteers, accredited coaches and accredited media while participating in MA or SCB sanctioned events.
The National Insurance Programme comprises two covers:
- Public & products liability
- Personal accident
Provides protection against liability to pay compensation for personal injury, property damage or advertising injury occurring in connection with an MA or SCB sanctioned event.
Limit of Liability: cover is provided up to a maximum of $50,000,000.
Excess: each claim attracts a $5,000 policy excess.
Provides benefits to anyone who is injured while participating in MA/SCB sanctioned events, or to the next-of-kin of someone who is killed while participating in such events, including:
For death: A lump sum of $75,000 for persons aged 18 and over, or $10,000 if aged under 18.
For quadriplegia or paraplegia: A lump sum of $150,000
For permanent disability: A lump sum of $50,000 for permanent total disability, partial disability is assessed on a scale to a maximum of $50,000.
Non-Medicare medical expenses: Reimbursement for expenses such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, pharmacy, dental & osteopathy up to a maximum of $5,000, net of any private health insurance entitlements, and incurred within 52 weeks of the date of injury. Note the Policy does NOT cover Medicare gap payments, and it does NOT cover expenses covered by Medicare like doctor’s fees, surgeon’s fees, anaesthetist’s fees & x-rays.
Emergency transport costs for Officials, Marshalls & Volunteers: reimburses 100% of ambulance costs incurred up to a maximum of $10,000
Accommodation expenses for family members of injured riders: reimburses up to $125 per night (up to a maximum of $10,000) for accommodation if the injured rider is hospitalised more than 250km from home and cannot be moved to a hospital closer to home, provided you get prior approval from Proclaim for this benefit.
Other benefits: include Parents Inconvenience Allowance, Student Tutorial Weekly Benefit, Home Help / Child Minding Weekly Benefit, Loss of Income (Officials, Marshalls & Volunteers only), and Funeral Benefit.
MA Insurance provides benefits to Australian riders with MA-issued International Licences who are injured while competing in FIM sanctioned events overseas, or to their next-of-kin, including:
- For death: A lump sum of $55,000 for persons aged 18 and over, or $10,000 if aged under 18.
- For permanent total disablement: A lump sum of $110,000
- For medical expenses: up to $50,000
- For emergency medical evacuation: up to $30,000
- For repatriation to country of domicile: up to $100,000
- For repatriation of mortal remains to country of domicile: up to $10,000
Public & Products Liability:
- Do not admit liability
- Contact Proclaim or Aon
T: 02 9287 1302
M: Locked Bag 32012, Collins Street West, Vic 8003
Am I covered for loss of income if I am injured whilst taking part in an event?
Only Marshalls and Officials are eligible for weekly benefits cover to compensate for loss of income if they are injured at an event.
We recommend you consider your personal situation, the potential impact of being without income for an extended period of time due to injury, and whether you should talk to your insurance broker about Income Protection Insurance.
Am I covered for non-riding activities organised by my club?
Yes, the National Insurance Programme covers you for club-arranged activities such as working bees, fundraisers, administration meetings, etc.
Is there a time limit to making a Personal Accident claim?
Yes, the claim must be lodged with Proclaim within 12 months of the date of injury.
Am I covered during private practice sessions?
Only if there is a permit in place for the practice session.
Are Coaches covered?
Yes, accredited Coaches operating under an MA or SCB permit are covered by the National Insurance Programme.
Who do I speak to about insurance coverage issues?
Always contact Motorcycling Australia's Legal Manager, Anthony Hynes, in the first instance, or speak to Proclaim if it relates to a claim.
- The above summary of cover provides factual information about the Motorcycling Australia National Insurance Programme. It is a summary only. The policies with full conditions are available by contacting Motorcycling Australia or by visiting ma.org.au
- MA Insurance Ltd has arranged this insurance programme to provide benefits to those registered members of your SCB who, through injury or accident incur financial loss and who would otherwise not have received assistance. The programme seeks to provide benefits to those most exposed and to maintain protection at the lowest possible cost. It therefore cannot provide 100% cover or a benefit for every loss that occurs. Federal Government legislation prevents insurance companies from paying any insurance benefit for a medical service that is covered by Medicare. This legislation also applies to the Medicare Gap. In addition to these policies all members are encouraged to take out private health and income protection insurance.
- MA and your SCB are not and do not represent themselves as licensed insurance brokers by endorsing the products outlined above.
- The insurer for the Public Liability insurance and the personal accident insurance is MA Insurance Ltd.