The National Insurance Programme covers MA, the SCBs, their affiliated clubs and employees, also current MA licence holders, volunteer officials, accredited coaches and accredited media participating in an MA sanctioned event.
The National Insurance Programme comprises three covers:
- Public Liability Insurance
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Associations Liability Insurance
Provides protection against liability to pay compensation for personal injury, property damage or advertising injury occurring in connection with an MA-sanctioned event.
Provides benefits to current MA licence holders, volunteer officials, accredited coaches and accredited media who is injured while participating in MA sanctioned event, or to the next-of-kin of someone who is killed while participating in such events, including:
For death: A lump sum of $75,000 for persons aged 18 and over, or $10,000 if aged under 18.
For quadriplegia or paraplegia: A lump sum of $150,000
For permanent disability: A lump sum of $100,000 for permanent total disability, partial disability is assessed on a scale to a maximum of $100,000.
Non-Medicare medical expenses: Reimbursement for expenses such as chiropractic, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, pharmacy, dental & osteopathy up to a maximum of $5,000, net of any private health insurance entitlements, and incurred within 52 weeks of the date of injury. Note the Policy does NOT cover Medicare gap payments, and it does NOT cover expenses covered by Medicare like doctor’s fees, surgeon’s fees, anaesthetist’s fees & x-rays.
Emergency transport costs for Officials, Marshalls & Volunteers: reimburses 100% of ambulance costs incurred up to a maximum of $10,000
Accommodation expenses for family members of injured riders: reimburses up to $125 per night (up to a maximum of $10,000) for accommodation if the injured rider is hospitalised more than 250km from home and cannot be moved to a hospital closer to home, provided you get prior approval from Proclaim for this benefit.
Other benefits: include Parents Inconvenience Allowance, Student Tutorial Weekly Benefit, Home Help / Child Minding Weekly Benefit, Loss of Income (Officials, Marshalls & Volunteers only), and Funeral Benefit.
Covering each affiliated club Committee Member against Loss for which the they are not indemnified by a the club on account of any D&O Claim first made during the Policy Period, or, if exercised, during the Extended Reporting Period, for a Wrongful Act occurring before or during the Policy Period*.
Plus cover for fines & penalties, OH&S investigation costs, pollution defence costs, tax investigation and audit expenses and for pre-investigation costs**.
Notify any claim or any circumstances that might give rise to a claim to the MA general counsel by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
*subject always to the terms and conditions of the policy
**as defined in the policy
Available for MA-affiliated clubs is the “Slips & Trips” public liability insurance cover. Please note the insurance does not cover any motorcycling activity. All motorcycling activity is to be covered under event permits issued by your club’s relevant controlling body.
Key details of the cover is as follows:
- Motorcycling Australia Insurance Ltd offers this insurance package for clubs to offer ‘around-the-clock’ slips and trips public liability cover;
- To be eligible, your club’s facility needs to be – at a minimum – lockable (fenced) and not open to the public when unattended;
- Once the form is completed, you will have entered into an agreement directly between your club and MA;
- Completing this form will result in MA generating an invoice for your club; and
- Cost for the policy is $1600 plus GST per annum.
Click here to complete the form. Once payment is received a permit will be issued.
Events in the FIM Calendar: Australian riders holding a current MA Annual Competition Licence can purchase an annual or a one-event FIM licence through MA to participate in competitions appearing in the official FIM calendar and that have an International Meeting Number (IMN). The FIM licence-holder is covered by the FIM’s Rider Insurance Scheme which provides benefits associated with medical assistance, medical costs, repatriation, death, and disability.
The FIM insurance does not cover participation in private tests and/or non-event practice days.
For any questions please contact email@example.com.
Public & Products Liability:
- Do not admit liability
- Contact Proclaim or MKM
T: 02 9287 1302
M: Locked Bag 32012, Collins Street East, Vic 8003
Am I covered for loss of income if I am injured whilst taking part in an event?
Only Marshalls and Officials are eligible for weekly benefits cover to compensate for loss of income if they are injured at an event.
We recommend you consider your personal situation, the potential impact of being without income for an extended period of time due to injury, and whether you should talk to your insurance broker about Income Protection Insurance.
Am I covered for non-riding activities organised by my club?
Yes, the National Insurance Programme covers you for club-arranged activities such as working bees, fundraisers, administration meetings, etc.
Is there a time limit to making a Personal Accident claim?
Yes, the claim must be lodged with Proclaim within 12 months of the date of injury.
Am I covered during private practice sessions?
Only if there is a permit in place for the practice session.
Are Coaches covered?
Yes, accredited Coaches operating under an MA or SCB permit are covered by the National Insurance Programme.
Who do I speak to about insurance coverage issues?
Always contact Motorcycling Australia's Legal Manager, Anthony Hynes on 03 9684 0516, in the first instance, or speak to Proclaim if it relates to a claim on 02 9287 1302.
- The above summary of cover provides factual information about the Motorcycling Australia National Insurance Programme. It is a summary only. The policies with full conditions are available by contacting Motorcycling Australia or by visiting ma.org.au
- MA Insurance Ltd has arranged this insurance programme to provide benefits to those registered members of your SCB who, through injury or accident incur financial loss and who would otherwise not have received assistance. The programme seeks to provide benefits to those most exposed and to maintain protection at the lowest possible cost. It therefore cannot provide 100% cover or a benefit for every loss that occurs. Federal Government legislation prevents insurance companies from paying any insurance benefit for a medical service that is covered by Medicare. This legislation also applies to the Medicare Gap. In addition to these policies all members are encouraged to take out private health and income protection insurance.
- MA and your SCB are not and do not represent themselves as licensed insurance brokers by endorsing the products outlined above.
- The insurer for the Public Liability insurance and the personal accident insurance is MA Insurance Ltd.