The new Motorcycling Australia Women’s Committee was initiated in February 2019 and since then we have been busy developing a strategy to support women within our community and improve women’s participation across the sport.
In this being our initial communication with the community we would like to take this opportunity to introduce the passionate volunteers who form the Motorcycling Australia Women’s Committee: Lisa Fox (Qld), Lauren Weaver (Vic), Jemma Wilson (Qld), Christine Knee (Tas), Alana Baratto (NSW) and Tracy Simpson (WA).
Over the past few months, we have received many enquiries from people within the sport about the role of the Women’s Committee, and what our plans are to grow and support women’s participation across the nation. As a Committee, we felt that it was important at this stage to communicate with all members in order to provide you with some additional information and invite you to forward some feedback.
- OUR MISSION: Our mission is to support the growth and the development of women and girls in motorcycling at all levels and in all disciplines. From the beginner to the professional; from volunteer to official; an international competitor to a board member.
- DID YOU KNOW: Australia has one of the highest female participation rates per capita in the world for our sport, sitting just behind the United States of America and France. Nationally both women and girls currently account for 7.3% of all licence holders and a massive 13% of all officials. Motorcycling Australia is committed to ensuring equal opportunity throughout the organisation with a vision of continued growth in all areas.
- VERY IMPORTANT: One of the first areas of importance is to lift the profile of our women and girls in the sport throughout the general population and to set about connecting the community through a central point to be able to share events, information, stories and profiles. Make sure you check out our page on the MA website and upload your profile so we can share these. We are also working with MA on the calendar to be able to search for all female events across Australia.
- CONNECT WITH US: We have created the Australian Women In Motorcycling Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/auswomeninmotorcycling/) which will become a central point nationally to share important information. You will also notice that most of the State Controlling Bodies have now created social media pages to share local information. So make sure you connect with like-minded women, jump on and connect with us all.
- TELL US: We also want to hear from all of you! What are some things that you think are important for women and girls in our sport, what are some issues that you are facing on a local level, tell us about the great events that are happening out there so we can share it with the nation. Drop us a line at email@example.com so we know what is important to you.
Each of our disciplines is a little bit different and each person’s engagement with the sport is unique. Some prefer a more supportive environment and female-only opportunities, others prefer to ride and race with the field – any form of riding is fantastic! There are so many women and girls out there doing amazing things in our sport. We need to make sure our women and girls are supported, comfortable and having fun. We want them to keep riding and to encourage their family, friends and colleagues to participate.
We look forward to seeing you at the track!
The Women’s Committee